Sunday, August 19, 2012

The Little Things...

Life is all about the little things. I'm convinced of this. It's the little things in life that allow us to experience joy, peace, love, happiness. Even in times of complete chaos, if you take just a second to look around I'm certain you'll find at least one small thing to make you smile. In February of this year I read a book, One Thousand Gifts, that taught me to look for the small things, and appreciate all of life's little blessings.  It's a christian based book describing one woman's journey to grow her sense of gratitude in life.

While it took me a while to really get into the book, it turned out to be one of my favorites because of what it taught me.  Inspired by the author I started my own gratitude journal (confession:  I'm the world's worst at starting something and not finishing, but I did manage to write down my gifts for about a month.  Now I just store them away in my memory).  


(Obviously I AM NOT an artist lol)


Today I woke to an early morning thunderstorm and have been enjoying it's peacefulness while cuddled up on my couch, sipping on a cup of hazelnut coffee, no responsibilities requiring my attention elsewhere.  My favorite!  I couldn't have asked for a better way to start the day : ) and have been inspired to share with you some of the other small things that have filled my gratitude tank.





  • My mama coming to visit
  • The perfect song during a run.  Yesterday I was especially loving "Ho Hey" by the Lumineers and "As Long As You Love Me" by Justin Bieber.  And no, I'm not too proud to admit that I listen to Bieber : )
  • Cook Out Milkshakes!
  • Chai lattes AKA "Christmas in your mouth!"
  • Surprises in the mail and life long friends  

Taken 10 years and 1 day apart : )

  • Randomness and random acts of kindness:  I passed this during my run yesterday morning, and it definitely made me smile : ) 
Thank you, whoever you are, for being cool enough to think to do this!

  • Encouraging words from a friend validating who I am and what I'm doing in life; reminding me that no matter what time or distance is between us, our friendship will never fade. @ Angie Sneed : )
  • Daily devotionals:  Charles Stanley and Joel Osteen are two of my fav podcasts to listen to while getting ready in the morning.
  • Kiddos:  their innocence and fullness of life make my heart smile.
  • The Bose system in my car.  Thanks to spending a week in a rental while my car was being repaired, I've learned that my morning drives just aren't the same without my Bose blaring to wake me up!
  • Quotes (click here for some favs)
  • The Beach AKA My Happy Place.


And the list goes on...  Seriously, I could keep this up for days!  No time now though, I've got to get my butt up off this couch and get dressed.  My best friend is coming today for a quick post-birthday celebration!

Happy Sunday : )

No comments:

Post a Comment