Sunday, August 5, 2012

Restlessness and the Great Ice Cream Debate



I didn’t have to work on Friday and spent the day trying to be productive, with hopes of getting my To Do list down to only one or two items.  I managed to spend most of the morning working out and then doing work on my computer, and finally made it out of the house around 2 pm.  At that time I set out to run a few errands, only to return several hours later feeling like I had accomplished very little.  
At 8 pm I was still feeling pretty unproductive, and a little bored after being holed up alone in my tiny apartment for most of the day.  I had been planning to head to South Carolina to visit family and a friend who was in town for the weekend, but realized that I hadn’t even packed yet.  It was looking like the 1.5 hour drive was going to have to wait until the morning, because as it was, I wouldn’t arrive until after 10pm.  Might as well wait and leave early in the am.  But what was I going to do for the rest of the night?  Feeling extremely restless, I texted my sister to tell her not to expect me until the next day and sat down to eat dinner.  Less than halfway through however, I changed my mind.  It might do me some good to get out, even if it was late.  And maybe I’d like a milkshake instead of the rest of my dinner : )  I picked up the phone to call my sister and she encouraged me to come on down.  She was bored too lol.  So I packed my bags, threw everything in the car, and Jackson (my pup, and I set out on our trip.  Unable to make up my mind about what kind of milkshake I wanted quickly enough to stop by the Cookout nearest my house, I decided I’d stop at the one in Monroe.  I had 45 minutes to decide on the perfect flavor : )  Since my trips to Cookout are pretty infrequent (yes, 2-3 times a month is WAY less than I’d like to go) I always go for exactly the one I’m craving, which is usually banana pudding.      Surprisingly though, this didn’t sound as enticing to me at the time.  I had already had a banana and yogurt earlier in the day, and was now craving something chocolatey.  The following is something like the conversation I had with myself while trying to make a decision... 
 “What if I tried a chocolate Oreo?  Or chocolate M&M?  Banana pudding peanut butter fudge?  Orrrr maybe the peach cobbler.  I’ve been wanting to try this one for a while, but no-  I’m pretty sure I want chocolate tonight.  Oohh... what about cookies!  A big, gooey chocolate chip cookie would be yummy!  I COULD just stop at a convenience store.  Maybe even find a chocolate chip cookie ice-cream sandwich!  This would be a little healthier considering it’d probably be less calories in comparison to a 1,000  some-odd calorie milkshake.  Or maybe I should just hold off on the sweet stuff all together for the night.  I’m sure there will be plenty of desserts around this weekend, and if I have a milkshake now I’m going to feel like I need to pass most of them up, having already expended my junk food calories for the week.  And besides, desserts are always better when you have someone else to enjoy them with.  So no ice-cream.  No cookies.  No candy bar.”  (Because a snickers bar had crossed my mind too)
Ridiculous, I know!    But when I reached the Cookout in Monroe, I just kept driving.  Passed right by the Dairy Queen too.  Decision made.  Instead of ice-cream, I pulled out the sandwich I had left over from dinner (because I always travel with a cooler full of food ; )) and finished it off.  And although it was yummy, I developed a stomachache almost immediately after eating it.  MORALE OF THE STORY:  Always choose the ice-cream!

The next day that’s just what I did (chocolate Reese’s cup milkshake), and I even got to share my enjoyment.  Looks like my nephew thought his was pretty awesome too!  




So does anyone else suffer from this kind or ridiculous indecision, or am I the only one?  Have a great one!

1 comment:

  1. So when I was pregnant I had a really bad day at work and life in general was just being mean...plus, let's face it, I was hormonal. Anywho...all I wanted was a chocolate oreo milkshake from cookout. After waiting FOREVER for ignorant people in front of me..I placed my order. I was so excited for the milkshake..it was going to make my day! Get to the window..the girl hands me the shake...and it was just plain Oreo. I told her I ordered a chocolate Oreo shake and her response was "well duh...we only have chocolate Oreos." moral of my story...pregnancy is ALWAYS a good excuse for fussing at someone for getting your ice cream wrong!

    ReplyDelete