Saturday, July 7, 2012

Pass It On

As I was walking around a store earlier today, a little girl (she looked to be middle school age) said to me in passing, "You look really pretty."  My shyness came out in full bloom.  "Thank-you so much!  That's very sweet of you!"  I nearly whispered as I shrank away in embarrassment, kicking myself along the way because I couldn't come up with anything better to say.  

I mean, seriously!  This little girl had enough courage to tell me this, (you could tell she was nervous to do so) and all I was brave enough to respond with was a dinky little thank-you!  Ugh!!!  I hate how shy I can be sometimes!  

I spent the rest of my time in the store trying to work up the courage to find her and let her know how much her comment meant to me, but when I saw her again in the parking lot she was too far away for me to reach.  By the time I made it over to her she'd be in the car driving away.  Well... at least that's what I told myself.  If I had really wanted to I could have chased her down like a crazy person and given her a big hug.  But I chickened out. 

I couldn't stop thinking about the run-in during the drive to my next destination and eventually decided that I wouldn't let her words be in vain.  Although I didn't thank her as appropriately as I should have, I decided to make up for it.  I will share her kindness with another stranger... pass it on to someone else : )  

So thank-you, little girl, for being an inspiration to me.  Your kindness and innocence will be a blessing to not only me, but to others also : )  Happy Saturday : )



"A single act of kindness throws out roots in all directions, and the roots spring up and make new trees.  The greatest work that kindness does to others is that it makes them kind themselves."

~Amelia Earhart



No comments:

Post a Comment