Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fearless

Fear is a topic that really intrigues me.  It's an emotion that can be pretty hard to control at times, at least for me anyway.

Yesterday I saw a car that had the word FEARLESS written in bold letters across the back window.  It wasn't the nicest car to say the least, and I found myself wondering about the two men that were in the car.  "Are they really fearless?  What does that mean to them?  Do they mean fearless in all aspects of life?  Probably not.  They are driving a pretty crappy car... if they were fearless, wouldn't they have chased their dreams, made lots of money, and drive a nicer car than that?"  ... Please don't judge me for my ridiculous thoughts...  I realize it's pretty unfair to make judgements like this and immediately felt guilty.  I know everyone has a story, and material things definitely aren't what make life meaningful.  But my point is... are they truly fearless?

I'd like to think of myself as a pretty fearless person... not afraid to take on the world and all of it's adventures.  This however, is definitely not reality.  I'm fearful of lots of things... bad car accidents, illness, lightening, tornados, failure, and the list goes on.   If I'm really being honest, one of my biggest fears is fear itself...  letting this emotion keep me from reaching my full potential or missing out on great opportunities in life.  

For instance,  I've always wanted to model.  I think it's really cool and have my own personal reasons for wanting to have my face in a magazine.  Maybe even on the cover.  But it's not something I'd like to do as a career.  I think it'd be great to do on the side, but with the fashion industry being so competitive, I've talked myself out of putting in the effort to even try.  I'm scared.  I've been the subject of my mama's practice photography sessions many times, and am always horrified by the faces I'm making or the awkwardness of my body in the pics.  This alone has kept me from attempting to make modeling a hobby.  Why put the effort into something if I'm not any good at it, especially if I'm not going to do it seriously?  

But then the fearless side of me yells, "Why NOT?"  Life is to short not to try.  Life is to short not to go after your dreams, no matter how trivial they may be.  What do I have to loose?  What am I missing out on by not trying?  

God only knows... I think I just may try being a little more fearless.  So keep a lookout : )

"Always do what you are afraid to do." 

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment