Thursday, April 21, 2011

A Chocolate Lover's Dream : )

This year our office decided to celebrate employee birthdays by giving each other a cake on our special day!  To make the tradition fair we each drew a name from a hat, and on that person's birthday are responsible for providing them with a cake.  I was so excited about this because I love to bake, and just so happened to draw the name of one of the doctors with a known love for chocolate.

I've made some delicious chocolate cakes before and like trying new recipes, my favorite so far being a flour-less spicy chocolate cake.  In preparation for the celebration I questioned Dr. G about his favorite cake, and was admittedly a little disappointed when he replied that a simple milk chocolate cake with chocolate or white icing would suite his fancy.  Where's the fun in that?!?

With his birthday  approaching on Tuesday,  I got down to business Monday night to find a great recipe and  bake him the best chocolate cake ever... And that's just what I did : )  (After some consideration to a healthy low-fat recipe, I opted to splurge and use a regular recipe that would be healthy for the soul ; ) rather than experiment with a recipe that could possibly be a let down.)  Leave it to Google to provide spot on results- the second listing was a recipe for "The Best Chocolate Cake Ever!"   It moist-chocolate-deliciousness and was devoured by 2 pm!

1 box devil’s food cake mix
1 small pkg Jello instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla (I omitted this b/c I didn't have any on hand)
2 cups mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a very large bowl, mix together everything except chocolate chips. Batter will be thick. Stir in the chocolate chips. Pour batter into cake pan of choice (I normally use two 9-inch pie pans). For cooking time, I use the cooking times on the back of the devil’s food cake box as a guide and usually add 10 mins to whatever it says. Then I do the toothpick check, and if it’s not done, I check on it every 5 mins after that. It usually takes around 45 mins for two, 9-inch pie pans.

Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dessert/the-best-chocolate-cake.html#ixzz1KD2zSxJ5

No comments:

Post a Comment