Monday, September 24, 2012

Asian babies VS In vitro...

Yes.  This conversation did happen.  

Yesterday I visited my family in S.C. as I do most Sundays.  What's better than spending the afternoon stuffing your face with Grandma's home cookin' and catching up with everybody?  NOT MUCH : )

After lunch we were all outside enjoying the beautiful weather and talking.  I think we were on the topic of my nephew Mason, when all of a sudden my aunt asked when I was going to have one (a baby).  "It's your turn."  
It seems like here lately the comments of, "You're too young to have a boyfriend,"  "Don't ever get married," and "I'm too old to be a grandma"  have been replaced with "It's your turn,"  "So when are you getting married,"  and "Mason needs a cousin."  

Great.  As I reminded them once again that a few things have to happen before I start poppin' out babies, they offered up a few suggestions.  

Aunt Marsha: "You should adopt a little Chinese girl.  They're so cute and you can get one for around $20,000."  

Me:  "Yeah, like I have $20,000 just laying around to adopt a baby.  I'm doing good enough to support myself."

Aunt Marsha:  "Just go to the bank and take out a loan.  What are they going to do if you don't pay it back, take your baby away from you?" 

Me:  "Riiiggght.  Pretty sure I should take a loan out on a house before I ever consider doing it for a baby."

So my mama's suggestion was that I have in vitro.  

Me:  "Yeah don't think I can't afford that one either.  And then there's the whole deal of the child growing up with issues because it doesn't have a father around."  

Mama:  "Well did you get my message the other day with that link that I sent you?"

Me:  "What message?  What are you talking about?'

Mama:  "I sent you a text with a link to a website where you can adopt a baby and save it's life.  I'll send it to you again."

And then Grandma chimes in...  "Well I think you need to just do it the old fashion way.  Get married first, then have a baby.  That's the way people used to do it."  

Hahaha!  I have the best family ever.  
And no, for those of you concerned they were just kidding.  Well, everyone except for Grandma : )   

No comments:

Post a Comment